Statue of Edward Colston
Address: Colston Avenue (north east side)
Date: Stuart period (1603-1714), Georgian period (1714-1837)
Edward Colston was a merchant and slave trader who also gave money to many English charities. He was born on 2 November 1636 and died on 11 October 1721.
Colston still has a positive reputation as one of Bristol’s most generous charity donators. Whilst he was alive he gave money to many of Bristol’s schools, almshouses and hospitals and restored a number of churches. However, Colston worked for the Royal African Company who traded in slaves and he was also a wealthy sugar merchant with investments in the Caribbean island of St Kitts.
There are two schools in Bristol which were closely linked with the Society of Merchant Venturers. They are Colston’s School (for boys) - now Colston’s Collegiate - and Colston’s Girls’ School. Colston’s School for boys was started by Edward Colston in 1708.
Edward Colston is also remembered in the city by Colston Avenue, Colston Street and Colston Hall.